Thursday, January 1, 2015

6 "parently" resolutions for the New Year

Happy 2015!

Yet again, another year has snuck up on me. Somehow, since I've had kids, the years are zipping past, and my birthday in February rolls by with a "Say what?"

Yep, I'm gettin' older. Fact of life. But I'm going to be a parent for years to come (God willing), and each day, I think there are definitely some things I could work on.

No, I'm not talking about becoming a Pinterest mom or volunteering for every little itty bitty thing. The six items on my list are just small everyday choices, but ones that may have lifelong benefits.

2015: more doggie tea parties, less smart phone.
1. Play more...I will be the first to admit I am not especially creative when it comes to playing with little kids. It takes some energy to get into the idea of a "princess school" or "doggie tea party." But why am I so reluctant? In less than ten years, I'll be lucky to be included in any of my daughter or son's downtime, so that's what I need to remember when I'm sitting on the floor surrounded by stuffed animals.

2. "Electronic-cize" less...in line with my first resolution, one way to make sure we're all playing more together as a family is to limit time on computers, smartphones, and the television. Now, I've never been one to set exact limits, but one of my rules, which is not to turn the television on after school until I've started fixing dinner, has already caused my kids to play more together. Also, stowing the phone during family time--even when we're all sitting down to watch a show--is another way to keep myself "in the moment."

3. Lower my voice...I have a friend who once gave up "yelling" for Lent. It was very entertaining for those forty days. Now, as my kids get older, I find myself doing the whole raising my voice thing when I really need to get their attention and responsive behavior--quickly. But lately, both me and my vocal chords think maybe I'm relying on this more than implementing consequences (which are more time consuming than the yelling thing). But, to be effective, I need to make rules and follow through with penalties, so add "limit yelling" to my list.

4. Have more adventures...I am the daughter of parents who thought they'd try taking me to London with them when I was 18 months old. As they tell the story, it was one heck of a trip, and I'm not up for the same experience. But now that my kids are a little easier to control and reason with, it's time to hit the road and the skies. It doesn't have to be fancy, but we all need to get out of our comfort zone.

5. Perfect my picture keeping...I had this conversation just a few days ago with a friend. Is it possible that my last three years of pictures are really only on the computer? It's not that I can't show them to the kids there, but there's something special about being able to set out an album or box of pictures and go through them with your fingers. I vow to give Shutterfly some serious business and get all those prints ordered and organized!

6. Remember myself...Through all this, my greatest commitment is to my family, but it doesn't mean I--Megan Cox, writer, runner, former ice skater, journalist, mediocre piano player, soulful singer--has to disappear. There are times each day, week, and month that I take for myself, and that's okay. Valuing myself is a great model for my daughter and son, and it's important for kids to remember that their parents are people too--not just older folk meant to do their bidding.

Well, that's my list. What's yours? Don't just make a resolution this year...make a purpose.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment