Thursday, December 25, 2014

Let's make a tradition...surviving Christmas vacation with a few favorite things

Merry Christmas!

I am obviously writing this a few days before that fun day, because I'm not actually going to blog on Christmas! Hope you are enjoying bright happy faces and lots of yummy turkey right now. I know I am.

Now, next up...
Christmas break!

Oh how excited I used to be at those words! As a child, it meant two weeks off from school, and even though I was desperately missing my friends by the end of it, two weeks without homework was well worth the price. Besides, I had a younger brother who would play whatever I wanted (Barbies, etc.), so yeah, it was awesome.

Then I became a grownup and went to work. Christmas break got much shorter, but it was still the time of year my husband and I would make an effort to travel to see our families.

Then I had kids. And even though I still say, "Yay! Christmas break!" suddenly, there's much more pressure to fill those long winter days.

Well, I've got just the ticket for families of all ages, because, let's face it, I am a playdate guru at this point, and I've learned what a variety of ages like. So here's a few spots to hang on a cold winter's day that do not involve shopping (besides, you already know where to take yourself shopping after a month of heavy practice).
https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-quail-springs-mall-24
The AMC at Quail Springs has 24 theaters!

Let's go to the movies - Don't you dare groan at me. I am a movie buff. A fanatic! Unlike many parents who give up trips to the theater when they give up their car to carseats, my husband and I still make monthly trips to the big screen (courtesy of some very awesome in-laws). This is a time of year where film studios pull out the big guns, which means inspirational, exciting, and kid-friendly stuff is in abundance. Your kid might be old enough for inspiring movies like Unbroken, but if not, the Penguins of Madagascar and the new Annie are pretty entertaining fare as well.

http://arctic-edge.com/
Arctic Edge is the perfect skating destination.
Let's skate - I will admit, as a former competitive figure skater, that ice skating is high on my list of fun, simply because I know I'm not going to spend much time on my butt (you know, until I try some of my old tricks; oh, and my back will hurt for days after doing a layback spin!). Watching my kiddos start to get their own feet under them and the amazing way my husband never seems to struggle after spending years at a time off the ice (I despise those born athletes sometimes!) is a fun gig for our family. So get brave! Or get a little Frozen inspired. Then, after you hit the ice (hopefully not literally), go get cocoa or Mexican food or whatever makes you warm and cozy inside.
http://www.sciencemuseumok.org/
Science Museum Oklahoma


http://www.edmondhistory.org/
Edmond Historical Society 

Let's get smart and have fun - Okay, I'm a sucker for history and science! A writer like me has to be, or we wouldn't get all inspired by the past and present and create articles and books about them (I am convinced that in my next life, I will either return as an archaeologist or geneticist--fascinating stuff!) My favorite spot in Edmond for history is obviously the Edmond Historical Society, which has the coolest mini "Old West" town for younger kids. Then, just down the way is the Science Museum of Oklahoma, with items and activities of interest for all ages (if you hurry, you can still do the Olympic display upstairs, where my husband and I have enjoyed racing our two-year-old in the 50-yard dash. BTW - no current or future track stars in this family).

So get a positive attitude, drag yourself out of the house, and have some more holiday fun. If you're inclined to get outside, remember that most of the local light displays will run through the New Year. And if it's just too darn cold and blizzardy, make a pot of chili, play a board game, and sit down for a relaxed family dinner.

At the end of the break, and even many years later, your kids will remember the family time.

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment