Thursday, December 4, 2014

Let's make a tradition - Christmas memories that stick like snowflakes

I have plenty of fond childhood memories of Christmas. Plen-ty.

In Los Angeles and later in Atlanta, my family of five (I was the middle child, so take that as you will) would pile in the minivan and carol out to some Christmas tree farm to pick a winner. It was usually an all-day event, with my mom feeling sorry for the scrawniest of trees and telling my dad we should pick it, and he and my older sister in turn telling her she was crazy - the trees don't actually care. Meanwhile, I'd be chasing my little brother and several of our Australian shepherds around, trying to keep the dogs from christening other unsuspecting people's trees.

Like I said - tradition.

Every Christmas Eve we'd attend a candlelight service, eat a Christmas Eve buffet with guests, and open our presents from my grandma and aunt in Pennsylvania. My mom ruined the Santa thing early, so then we'd go to bed, knowing my parents would frantically be wrapping presents for the next hour or two. (One year, they decided to wait until morning, leaving my mom to corral three eager children in their bedrooms while Dad frantically wrapped. I remember a lot of garbage bag gift wrap that year.)
Awkward family photo? Nah! The McAndrew family
was super cute in the early nineties!

Anyway, as a mom of little ones of my own, I want them to have fond memories of this season that they may continue for their children. Also as a mom, I get to pick my favorite traditions, which is ah-some! Here are a few we're going to discuss this month in the series - "Let's make a tradition."

Christmas Lights (December 11) - I will tell you this: the OKC metro has some dazzling light displays nearby, and if your kiddos get as wide-eyed as mine do with those colorful twinkling displays, then you might want to consider making Christmas lights a yearly tradition.

Candlelight Services (December 18) - One of the beautiful things about the season is having the opportunity - churchgoer or not - to attend a service where you light candles and sing Christmas carols. If you're not religious, it's a time to focus on the peace and beauty of the season, and if you are a person of faith, it is a time to remember what it's all about.

Christmas Vacation (December 25) - No! I don't mean the silly movie with the squirrel in the Christmas tree. I'm talking about the week following Christmas, when we're all on sugar overload and worrying about New Year's resolutions and credit card bills. Let's talk about some ways we can keep that Christmas spirit going into the new year, by making some post-Christmas family traditions that put the "memory" in "memorable."

So stay tuned! We have a fun, dazzling month ahead, and it's always good, when you're getting stressed, to repeat this: "Christmas only comes once a year."

No comments:

Post a Comment